Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Throw it away


I just threw out half of a pie, three bags of candy, a whole box of candy canes, the rest of my beloved peppermint ice cream, half a can of condensed milk, and half a liter of eggnog.  Horrified?  I was, too.  My treasure is food.  
Photo from pinmarklet on Pinterest
 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Matthew 6:19-21
My treasure is food, and if my heart is where my treasure is, then my heart is on the verge of a diabetic coma.  
It started with a gentle whisper from God.  The whole day, I nibbled at the pie, drank some eggnog, ate a few pieces of candy and then cringed when I saw my bloated tummy in the mirror (and wondered if anyone would ask me if I was pregnant today--‘cause it really did look like it!).  Tonight, after eating an unbalanced dinner, I was just about to reach for something sweet to finish off the meal when I heard the whisper.
Beloved...you don’t need that...and it’s trapping you.  Give it to Me and I will free you from your bondage.
But, God...all that food will go to waste!
Beloved...throw it away.  Trust Me to provide you with food that will nourish and strengthen you instead of slowly poisoning My temple.  Honor Me...throw it away.
Okay, God.  I get it.  I will throw away all of it...except the peppermint ice cream.  Surely it’s okay if I keep that one treat just in case, right?
As I went about throwing away the pie and candy, I started to pray.  
Lord, I lay this before you and throw it away to honor You.  I want to worship you with all of me, Jesus.
Samantha...throw it all away.  Even the ice cream.
Do I really have to, Lord?  
If you want to worship Me with all of you, yes. (Don’t you just love how God puts us in our place when we need it?)
Okay, okay.  I will do it.
So I did.  I got the ice cream out, oh the sweet nectar of Christmas, and scooped the rest of it in the trash.  Then, I thought...well, I can always make more in a few weeks once I get my addiction under control.  This process went on and on, and one by one, God took each and every sweet snack in my house, even some of the ingredients I could make more sweets out of, and told me to give it to Him.  With each thing, I struggled thinking again how I was wasting food or how I could surely give it to someone else (Which the Lord gently reminded me: They don’t need it, either!)  As I threw each sweet in the bin, I felt a little lighter and a little freer.  I do have control over this, not by my strength, but by His.  Where I am weak, He is strong.
Until we give it all to Him, we cannot be truly healed.




2 comments:

  1. Is it unmanly that this made me cry a little bit? :) I think this is my favorite post of yours I've ever read.

    It's also funny because just this morning I prayed for God to lead me to the right Scriptures to read. And then I got to 1 Corinthians 5:11, and I was right in the middle of being about to post from Deuteronomy when I saw this post!

    And THEN right in the middle of commenting here, someone from John Hagee Ministries called to pray with me over the phone...

    God is good, all the time. OBEDIENCE and FAITHFULNESS are so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Will. It means a lot to me to be able to share what God has done with you and the rest of the family.

    As far as crying goes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqWo-GswzJY

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails